Monday, July 22, 2013

Month One Of The Train Up A Child Challenge




I have been absent for awhile, sorry about that.  It has been a crazy, awesome summer here in big sky country.  The sun is out, the fields are green, the rivers are roaring and the cowboys/cowgirls/farmers are working non stop.  Just last week I watched my best friends daughter show her pig at the fair (she totally rocked). Around here we work hard around here and play even harder.  All the more reason why I adore my morning runs and rides when I can chase the sunrise and talk to all the baby moo cows, horses, deer and even elk that I saw a couple weeks ago.  

Today, I want to share my girlfriend Carly with you.  She blogs over at Africa to America.  Her and her husband have a gorgeous little lady and a darling little man.  They brought him home from Congo this year and I am pretty much in love.

Carly, quite transparently, admitted what the rest of us fail to.  She is awful at following through with ideas and wants to change that.  I can share that testimony completely.  We all have killer ideas that end up going wayside to "more important things".

SO, she has created the Train Up A Child Challenge.  I think it is quite brilliant, personally.


Hebrews 13:16 tells us

"Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God."


We all have a little extra don't we?  Sharing, what an amazing concept to follow through with and do with your children.  It is amazing how we teach this in kindergarten and then it tends to go wayside.

One act of service each month, with your kids.
Wanna???

Carly's first act was sharing her garden bounty with her neighbors.  Here in Montana, we get rockin' gardens of lettuce, herbs, radishes and um, I am not sure what else, by June. I will openly admit that I am quite envious of Carly's basil harvest this year.  

As for us, July is the month of hay around the wannabe Fry Family Farm.  We live in a hay field and it is unreal this time of year.  Josh and I will drive two tractors and it will take the good part of a week to get done and we are only cut 15 acres.  There is a big hay operation across the street that makes ours look like childs play!  Yes, I drive a tractor and buck bales.  What do you think I am, some sort of sissy girl?  Well, Josh is incredibly allergic to it so, he combo mealed a respirator, a vintage pair of ski goggles and his Grandfather's hat.  He looked like an alien but is totally dedicated to the cause so we love him!


This year, was an abundant crop for us and we were blessed to have God place a family in our lives that needed hay to feed their livestock but were having a rough year.  I tried to think of a great act of kindness we could do and was coming up blank.  Then I realized, we have hay...TONS of it!  We decided to gift them 2.5 tons of hay.  It was so much fun to chat with them, email back and forth, share with them and allow our kids to help make the decision.  You know what is even more fun?  The hay we gifted ended up being almost exactly 10% of our crop.  Yes, that is a God thing right there.  They shared their amazing goats milk soaps and lotions with us which you should totally check out!  We are already thinking of ideas for next month.  Hmmm, maybe the chokecherries will be ripe by then...

So, what can you and your littles share this month? Maybe it is your garden, maybe it is some muffins that you make together, maybe it is just your time, we all have a little something to give to someone else.  

If you feel moved to, take the challenge and share your acts with me here or over on Carly's blog.  I promise to keep you updated on ours.  They will most likely not be as extreme as hay but should be fun all the less.  If you share them with me, I will share them with Carly.  She will be tickled pink to hear about them.

Enjoy the sun!

Heids



No comments:

Post a Comment